There are many misconceptions about the habit of masturbation. In this Q&A, we cover some of the most common questions and misconception about masturbation.
Is masturbation harmful?
From a health science viewpoint, masturbation is not at all harmful for your health. Rather it is a personal choice of the individual while some people relate it with morality. It is a normal and healthy sexual behaviour.
Is excessive masturbation harmful to a man’s health? Side effects of masturbation
It is rightly said that self-control is the key. Because an excess of anything can be harmful. Masturbating excessively can cause some serious side-effects:
- premature ejaculation
- may also hinder sexual activities with your partner
- injury to the penis
- testicular pain
If you find yourself excessively masturbating, you need to divert the excess energy in a more healthier way, such as:
- Usage of mobile apps designed to reducing masturbation/porn might be helpful.
- NoPo is an app that we recommend for reducing porn/masturbation
- listening to music.
- joining dance classes
- joining aerobics, running, cycling, swimming etc
- If the tendency persists, you can consult a psychiatrist or a counsellor as it can also be related to mental stress.
Is it healthy for a man to masturbate daily?
The answer to this question is subjective. Masturbating daily can be normal for some men whereas for others it can be undesirable. Skipping regular orgasms adds to stress levels and mental health issues, frustration, irritation and unhappiness. Thus masturbation helps in releasing stress and stabilises your mood and makes you happy and healthier. Though, some sex experts claim that daily masturbation can be considered excessive. It can lead to weakness, fatigue, early ejaculation and may also hamper sexual activities with your real partner. As long as masturbation is not affecting your daily routine or overall energy levels, it should be considered normal.
How many times in a week is masturbation considered normal for a man?
Again, the answer to this question differs from man to man. It is generally based on his general health conditions and sex drive. There are some men who masturbate two to three times a week, or five times a week or once in a week. But, excess of anything is very harmful. Therefore you can divert your energy from masturbation onto some kind of sports activities or other hobbies. This will help you maintain a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
Can masturbation replace having sex with a partner?
- No, masturbation cannot replace sex with your partner. Both the things have their own relevance. In fact, masturbation can increase the experience of having sex with your partner for real because you know your body better. But if you are frequently masturbating and it has started to hinder your sexual life with your partner, then it might be a sign of a problem. Because, you are missing out on the experience of intimacy with your partner while having sex. However, sometimes you can replace masturbation with sex and it can be considered valid in some of those situations which are:
- If your partner’s sex drive is lower than yours
- If your partner is pregnant
- If your partner is not available with you
- If your partner is sick
Can masturbation cause premature ejaculation?
As it is rightly said, excess of anything is harmful. It is so with excessive masturbation as well, because it can damage the nerves. It can further cause premature ejaculation or even ejaculation during sleep also.
Can masturbation affect your sperm count?
It is a myth that masturbation decreases your sperm count, as sperms are produced regularly in men’s body. It takes time to ejaculate again after one ejaculation. But, that does not indicate that your sperm count is depleting.
When is masturbation not safe for men?
Masturbation is generally considered safe. However, if it is done excessively and fiercely, then it can be harmful. Here are some situations which are not considered safe during masturbation:
- STI may occur if someone shares sex toys with an infected person.
- Masturbation in face-down position is not considered safe as it exerts more pressure to the penis. To avoid this, better positions are standing, sitting or lying on back.
- Squeezing penis while ejaculating can damage the nerves and blood vessels in the penis and will force the semen into the urinary bladder. This should be avoided to prevent the flow of semen.
Can masturbation make you thin?
Technically it can be considered as an exercise you perform. But, masturbation will not make you thin.
Will a man’s testosterone level lower due to masturbation?
No, as per research, masturbation only affects the circulation of testosterone levels. However, self-resistance is the key. Because excessive masturbation will lower the testosterone levels.
How do I know that I am masturbating excessively?
Here are some symptoms that will help in knowing if you are masturbating excessively:
- it causes you significant distress.
- You are practising it multiple times to escape from stress or realities of day to day life.
- regularly injuring self by rubbing aggressively.
- hardly spending time with friends or family as you are too busy pleasuring yourself.
- constantly feeling lustful and fighting the urge to pleasure yourself.
- experiencing pain in your genitals.
What is the treatment for excessive masturbation?
Someone who is seeking relief from excessive masturbation immediately needs to consult a general physician, who may, in turn, refer you to a psychiatrist or a counsellor. Sessions with a psychiatrist or a counsellor will help you to regulate and divert your energies in a more productive way and gradually detach you from aggressive masturbation. Sometimes, medication may also be suggested depending on your symptoms and general health conditions. You can also use apps that teach youhow to stop fapping.